Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Best Album of the Year?


Jens Lekman- Night Falls Over Kortedala

Do yourself a favor and pick up the new Jens Lekman album. It's light years ahead of his last, which was pretty solid to begin with. ("F-Word" was my jam back when I was in the computer lab all hours of the night trying to finish my thesis.) His reedy, rangeless voice intones meticulously structured indie pop wonders with arrangements ranging from middle eastern disco to melodic AM soft-rock. The main leap made this time around is the way he so seamlessly incorporates samples into the mature instrumentation and wry lyrics he has already mastered.

October is usually around the time I start playing favorites, and Night Falls Over Kortedala is pretty high up there right now.

Jens Lekman- "Sipping on the Sweet Nectar"
Jens Lekman- "Kanske Ar Jag Kar I Dig"

I'll write about hip-hop at some point. But I'll probably write more about LSU first.


Will a picture of Eric Dickerson, Emmitt Smith, and Alfonso Riberio satisfy you? Who doesn't belong at that table (Eric Dickerson)?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd pick it up, except Night Falls Over Kortedala hasn't come out officially yet! It comes out next Tuesday, Oct. 9. Thanks for rubbing it in our faces since we can't get it yet.

Just joking. I've heard a couple of the tracks. Seriously, Jens, are you Swedish? I wasn't digging the voice at first. But, after a few listens, I'm definitely feeling it. The compositions are amazing. A pop orgasm.