Wednesday, October 17, 2007

For Those of You Who Have Been Keeping Up...


A character map showing the relationships among characters in "Trapped in the Closet." Definitely the most useful thing The New York Times has given us in the past five years or so.

I've never written lesson plans before, so that's taking up most of my time lately. I'm toying with the idea of a TANBR podcast to pick up the slack. Let me know if that's a good idea.

DJ Khaled feat. T-Pain, Young Jeezy, Ludacris, Busta Rhymes, Fiona Apple, Big Boi, Lil' Wayne, Fat Joe, Birdman, Rick Ross- "I'm So Hood (Remix)"
Constant rotation. The astonishing thing about this song, which, despite feeling like an event never really improves upon Trick Daddy's monstering of the original, is that Jeezy might outshine everyone else. It's amazing how much his flow has improved over the past year or so. On most mixtapes lately, he's been aping Wayne more egregiously than anyone save Bow-Wow, but this sounds like a nice middle ground. I guess you can focus on the luxury of improving your craft once you have the cushion of a few million albums sold.

Also, the Khaled intros are getting more and more ridiculous. I support it. Rap listeners are becoming more adept at tuning out dumbasses yelling at them over songs, so I'm waiting until Khaled has the cachet to say something completely ridiculous, only to have no one notice: "YO, WE THE BEST! WHO? WE, MOTHAFUCKA! I POOED IN MY PANTS IN THE TENTH GRADE, NIGGA! GAY PEOPLE AREN'T BORN THAT WAY! MARTIN LUTHER KING'S DOCTORAL DISSERTATION WAS LARGELY PLAGIARIZED, NIGGA! JEEZY, BIRDMAN, LET'S GO!"


It's good to know that the Hollywood Walk-of-Fame is now up to 1999 in cultural relevance. It's getting to the point where our culture's celebrities are so meaningless that we won't even remember them by the time the Walk-of-Fame catches up to honor them. My kids will be like, "Who's Tay Zonday?" But who knows? Maybe between now and then Tay Zonday will become more influential than David Bowie. I mean, had you grabbed me in 1999 and told me Howie Mandel would be hosting the number one show in the country eight years from then, I never would have believed you either. Anything can happen I guess, which is kind of what Hollywood has always espoused.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Khaled sets the bar on the We Takin' Over Remix when he states, "God loves me." He doesn't yell the line which must mean he means to emphasize the statement.

-- Steve