Wednesday, July 23, 2008

USA Basketball's Reactions to The Dark Knight

(Apologies to The Blowtorch.)

Carmelo Anthony

"Look, I know this sounds harsh, but the movie would have been a classic if it had given itself about fifteen more minutes to develop some of those themes. As it stands, it's just one of the year's absolute best."

Mike Krzyzewski

"You know, excuse my language, but Batman is one hell of a leader."

Michael Redd

"That shit's going to stick with me for a long time, man."

LeBron James

"Well, I went a bit out of my way to catch it in Imax. If Warner Brothers is going to drop a hundred-eighty million on truly nuanced sound effects editing and Wally Pfister's stunningly dreary photography, I want to see it all in the best environment possible. Nolan and Pfister shot a good twenty or thirty minutes on Imax cameras, which is way more difficult than you might expect, even for experienced filmmakers. I mean, this is seventy millimeter film--you're accounting for twice the detail and unpredictability of traditional cinematography. Furthermore, Imax cameras only have two-and-a-half minute magazines. Hell, even David Lean only experimented with sixty millimeter. Plus--and I hate to say this--Imax is just taking the place of what THX used to be. With something as important as The Dark Knight, I want to make sure that I'm getting consistent, quality presentation. If you know what to look for, the neighborhood movie theater can be a really disappointing experience these days. Double projection bleeding out your blacks, mishandled platters and centered stereo, soft focus on outdated Fujis, fucking Xenon lamps burning out in the middle of a reel! And I hate to sound elitist--oh my God, my boys in Akron are going to kill me--but the slightly higher ticket price takes a lot of the riff-raff out of the equation. You don't get people talking during the film or laughing at inappropriate times. Anyway, before I start the whole aspect ratio debate and get way too technical, yeah, it's a fantastic film. Heath Ledger was sensational, and I was moved to tears by the end.

Mike D'Antoni

"No, no, no. Not one of the best. The best superhero movie ever. This squatted down and crapped on Spider-Man 2."

Jason Kidd

"Too scary! Too scary! Too scary!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think a "no homo" is needed after LeBron's section.
LT