Saturday, September 13, 2008

TANBR Recommends- All Online Edition

I haven't posted all week because it's my first year teaching and I don't really have a life anymore. But, instead of recommending--I don't know--a brand of cornbread, what better way to celebrate never leaving home than recommending stuff on the Internet?

Fast Food Critic

Pulling no punches.

I'm a fan of needlessly exhaustive resources, and this site definitely qualifies. The dude is always up on the new fast food offerings--updating way more than I expected--and his evaluations are detailed and accurate, often including nutritional facts, weights, and observations like, "The tomato slices I received were small and mealy (and this during prime tomato season in Southern Ontario)." The staff has obvious favorites but remains mostly objective. I'll always appreciate someone who admits, "I've never mastered eating a crunchy taco."

Elvis Mitchell's "The Treatment" podcast

Speaking of critics, Elvis Mitchell of The New York Times is one of the most thoughtful, considerate, eloquent film experts there is. He has a great show on TCM called "Under the Influence," but it airs sporadically. For more dependable Mitchell interviews, check out "The Treatment," which is a segment of his KCRW radio show. Mitchell's love for his subject's work always shines through, and he has a way of preparing perfectly open-ended questions that nudge the subject along with a well-placed "doesn't it?" When you listen to his interviews, you get the sense that if you ran into Elvis Mitchell at the laundromat and invited him to a party, there's a good chance he would actually show up. And that's a pretty good way to judge people I've found.

Banksy Hits Up New Orleans


Banksy, the secretive British graffitti and performance artist, is probably the most vital living artist alive as far as I'm concerned. On the third anniversary of Katrina, he tagged some ninth ward, uptown, and downtown areas. I hope I get to see at least some of them before they get painted over by Fred Radtke, the one man graffitti crusader that Banksy seems to mock with the gray paint swaths underneath many of the subjects.

“I looked out the window of the taxi on the drive into New Orleans and remarked, ‘There’s still so much devastation, I can’t believe they haven’t cleaned this mess up,’ to which the driver stared at me and said, ‘This part of the city wasn’t affected by the hurricane, its always looked like this.’"- Banksy

Customizable Keds by Zazzle
(http://www.zazzle.com/custom/shoes)


They're currently unavailable in men's sizes, but I have no problem ordering a 13 in women's to get a pair of slip-ons with my own face on them. My first paycheck can't come soon enough.


The Pop vs. Soda Map

Enthralling.

Suspicious Vans.com

Just what it sounds like.

"Teen Wolf" by Summer of Tears


Summer of Tears, did you green-screen yourself into scenes from that '80s paragon of oblivious unintentional comedy Teen Wolf? Can you please do this with Teen Wolf Too?

1 comment:

Michael said...

banksy is the fucking man