Thursday, January 22, 2009

Top 20 Albums of 2008

(Apparently, Blogger just deletes any post that contains mp3 links now. Don't be surprised if you get re-routed to TypePad some time soon.)

Fuck it. I'll never get to listen to everything I want, and it's almost February. I'm going with this list.

This might be the last year I do a traditional top whatever for music. It's so subjective that the rankings mean almost nothing. On one day, in one mood, I might prefer number sixteen to number one. In another situation, number eight might be more palatable than number five. And years from now, twenty is going to be way too inclusive. Truthfully, there are about four or five albums that get repeated listens from me years after they come out, so I should probably just limit it to a handful of inductees, like a hall of fame. For now though, this is more stuff that I really liked.


20. Q-Tip- The Renaissance


19. The Hold Steady- Stay Positive


18. Atmosphere- When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold


17. Lindstrom- Where You Go I Go Too


16. The Walkmen- You & Me


15. Los Campesinos!- Hold on Now, Youngster...


14. Blitzen Trapper- Furr


13. She & Him- Volume One


12. GZA- Pro Tools


11. Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago


10. Deerhunter- Microcastle


9. Wale- The Mixtape about Nothing


8. Girl Talk- Feed the Animals


7. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds- Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!!


6. Wolf Parade- At Mount Zoomer


5. Portishead- Third


4. Lil' Wayne- Tha Carter III


3. Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes


2. TV on the Radio- Dear Science,


1. Vampire Weekend- Vampire Weekend

No comments: