Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Tank at the Wachovia: Man on the Street

TANBR has not even mentioned the NBA in months, when I wrote one of, um, one NBA previews, but I have a plan to address that. We will have a renewed focus for the second half of the season, and the first step in that plan was to attend my first Philadelphia 76ers game with fellow TANBR writer P.T. and TANBR commenter/gadfly/man-about-town Will. Here's the kicker: we had all-you-can-eat tickets.


Saying I love you
Is not the words I want to hear from you
It's not that I want you
Not to say, but if you only knew
How easy it would be to show me how you feel
More than words is all you have to do to make it real
Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me
'Cuz I'd already know

What would you do if my heart was torn in two
More than words to show you feel
That your love for me is real
What would you say if I took those words away
Then you couldn't make things new
Just by saying I love you

More than words

Now I've tried to talk to you and make you understand
All you have to do is close your eyes
And just reach out your hands and touch me
Hold me close, don't ever let me go
More than words is all I ever needed you to show
Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me
'Cuz I'd already know

What would you do if my heart was torn in two
More than words to show you feel
That your love for me is real
What would you say if I took those words away
Then you couldn't make things new
Just by saying I love you

More than words

Anyway, we had a fantastic time.
  • We went to great lengths to smuggle bourbon into the Wachovia Center--shopping for plastic flasks in the event of a metal detector, getting patted down at the entrance. Of course, we didn't take into account that we would be eating so much that any amount of alcohol we drank would be negligible. At any rate, I guess we fit some sort of description of dudes who would sneak booze into a basketball game, because there was a security guard breathing down our necks the whole time. I had to mix my drink during the "National Anthem" when no one was looking. Getting kicked out of a Sixers game would have been pretty pace though. We would have come out on top no matter what.
  • Here's how the whole all-you-can-eat thing works because I didn't believe it existed when I first heard about it. With your ticket, you get a wristband that allows you access to a special concession stand. There, you get to choose from hot dogs, nachos, popcorn, ice cream, and sodas, any four items at a time. Unfortunately, the stand closes at the beginning of the fourth quarter, as if you could get drunk on nachos and recklessly drive home or something. (You probably can.)
  • You don't necessarily get the same plate of nachos someone paying $8 would. In fact, the presentation is underwhelming. Think school cafeteria, with hot dogs in aluminum foil and wooden spoons for the ice cream. I didn't mind. By the way, we would have taken pictures of this stuff, but the pockets that would have held cameras had bourbon in them.
  • The Sixers played the Heat, so I got to see Wade in person for the first time, as well as my first glimpse of Michael Beasley. During the pre-game warm-ups, we were fascinated by how much B-Easy goofed around. He was shooting rainbow threes, trying 360 dunks, and doing some crazy maneuver in which he took one ball, threw it into the air, shot a three with the second ball, and tried to catch the first ball. Maturity.
  • I forgot to check whether or not they were on a back-to-back, but the Heat looked really sloppy. They had no interior defense (I attribute that to Beasley shooting rainbow threes), and they managed to stay in the game until well into the fourth quarter despite not doing anything well.
  • Some guy behind us kept telling Andre Miller to "take 'em to school." High comedy.
  • Will, PT, and I started a drinking game in which we took a sip every time D-Wade took a shot he shouldn't have taken. He looked terrible but still had a quiet 21 points.
  • There's no denying that Wade is a likeable fellow though. In a daring move during the end of the first quarter, the roving Kiss Cam flashed onto Flash and Shawn "Matrix" Marion on the bench. Marion was unaware of what was on the Jumbotron, but Wade played along and caressed Marion's neck before kissing him on the top of the head to raucous applause.
  • The Sixers dancers changed at halftime into tight pants with visible rhinestone thongs. This was more exciting than anything going on in the game, but remember that I was three sheets to the ice cream.
  • Mareisse Speights is actually awesome. I thought he was part of the pre-draft hype machine, but he's proving himself to be an agile scorer and downright freak of nature. He fielded an alley-oop in the third quarter that brought the house down.
  • Speaking of bringing the house down, Sixers fans are terrabull. The Wachovia Center was dead for most of the game. It was close for a few moments in the fourth, and the crowd finally got active. By that point, I couldn't really move.
  • Final tally: four hot dogs, two nachos, two ice creams, four sodas.

7 comments:

Michael said...

how much is all you can eat???

i would go crazy

do the hot dogs compare to the # 7 at buds??

P.T. said...

No chili on them, but I did ask for the nacho cheese sauce specifically to dip my hot dog into. It was as surprisingly good as Mario Chalmers.

Will said...

Not bringing enough bourbon was an epic failure on our part.

The King Of New Orleans said...

michael and wills comments were exactly what i was expecting...this "all you can eat" thing sounds amazing...i love nachos...i'd probably get the nacho sweats...

Chris said...

It was $33, which is about a $10 markup on the face value of the seats. I'd definitely say we ate ten dollars worth though.

Will said...

We ate more than $33 worth. Our tickets were like negative $15.

Reves said...

If you're getting back into NBA coverage, the NYT had a great long-form essay today by New Oreleanian Michael Lewis: "The No-Stats All-Star."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp