Saturday, January 23, 2010

Best Albums of 2009

Top ten lists are arbitrary. So are top twenty-five. So is the notion that unique experiences listening to music should be ranked at all. The only way to make sense of all of this subjectivity is to dispense with it. I was a bad music fan this year and didn't listen to much. I liked very little of what I listened to. So why reach for ten or fifteen when there are only eight quality albums that I would recommend to everyone? It's almost February, and I want to move on. Here are the top eight (no MySpace [no outdated jokes]), which are not surprising or interesting at all.

Keep in mind that I'll go the opposite direction for films next week and rank about seventy of those. Can you tell it's been a tough week?

8. Discovery- LP












7. Lil' Wayne- No Ceilings














6. Phoenix- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix














5. Japandroids- Post-Nothing













4. Girls- Album














3. Grizzly Bear- Veckatimest













2. Drake- So Far Gone














1. Animal Collective- Merriweather Post Pavillion